The most romantic cities to visitBy Relationshiplab • Oct 7th, 2009 • Category: For Couples
I just got back from an extensive vacation to the Mediterranean and I have to say, it was one of the best trips of my life. Many of the locations we visited were picturesque to say the least and had enough enchantment in the air to jump start the romance for even the most sagging of relationships. So that got me thinking- of all the cities I’ve visited, which ones have had the most to offer for a couple looking for an exotic, romantic experience? So below, is a list of the top five romantic cities in the world (that I’ve visited). Disclaimer: I’ve visited most North American and European major cities, as well as some Latin American cities, but have never visited Asia.
1. Venice, Italy- this is bar none the most romantic, mysterious, exotic, enchanting city I’ve ever been in. And St. Mark’s Square is probably the most gorgeous location I’ve yet seen. The streets are narrow, old-world and wind around like a maze. Some streets end at a canal, while others are just dead ends, but you can wander around with your honey and get lost for days. Take your amour on a romantic ride through the canals, stroll through the streets eating gelato and looking at Carnival masks in the store windows, then have her serenaded by violin players in Piazza San Marco. Either way, taking your lover to Venice for a romantic getaway is a no-lose proposition that will make him or her associate you with fantasy and enchantment.
2. Paris- No list of romantic cities is complete without the Paris, the capital of l’amour. Big, historic, and beautiful, there is just something in the air in Paris that makes couples feel romantic and alive. In my stay, I routinely saw couples kissing in the streets, far more frequently than in any other city I’ve been in. Take your lover on a stroll down the Seine river, visit the sites such as Notre Dame, have dinner at a cafe in the Latin Quarter, then take her up to the Eiffel Tower for a kiss overlooking the city. Trust me, hit the high points like these and your relationship will flow gracefully like a tranquil river.
3. Florence- Possibly even more beautiful than Venice, Florence is definitely a must-visit for any hopeful Don Juan. What makes the whole thing here is the gorgeous view of the city from the river’s edge. The river (if you can call it that) is more like a shallow stream of water, that because it lies so low from the banks, actually reflects all of the buildings along the edge. As a result, what you get is a beautiful mirror reflection of an already beautiful city. Located in the heart of Tuscany, full of vineyards and farmlands, Florence is surrounded by green forests and elegant castles. It’s like being in a time-machine back to Medieval times. Unbelievable.
4. New York- Big, busy, loud and obnoxious, New York City seems like an odd choice to be on this list. But I have to give a shout out to my home town. The thing is, NYC has the most abundance of choice of any city on the planet, so if your goal is to do something romantic for your honey, you can find the means to do it here. Take in a Broadway show, stroll through Central Park then Times Square, go to a romantic dinner at any of thousands of ethnic restaurants to choose from, then take a moonlight cruise down the Hudson, taking in the skyline… follow this path, and you will be golden my son.
5. San Francisco- Probably the most distinctive city in the USA. I included San Fran for its uniqueness and landmarks. It is a very walkable city with a lot of interesting neighborhoods. Take a cable car ride up and down the hills, or just rent some bikes and go all over the city. Lots of parks and natural outdoor things to do and of course, you need to take your lover to the park overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge. Now is the time to tell her how you really feel. Like the song goes, “I left my heart in San Francisco.”
If you really want to have the most romantic times of your life with your sweetheart, any of these cities will do. Just remember, we remember our lives through the high points, so make sure you give your lover something to always remember by taking a trip you both will never forget.